Tuesday, July 16, 2013

How to make the best pie ever....and not blow up the kitchen



So, I tried out a pretty scary culinary experiment yesterday. One that my mother-in-law has accomplished probably hundreds of times, but I have yet had the nerve to try. So here's how to make the caramel sauce and why it is unbelievably frightening. You boil an UNOPENED can of sweetened condensed milk for 3 hours!! Now, according to the internet and mother-in-law, as long as it stays totally immersed in water it shouldn't explode. Shouldn't. It takes a rather large pot to completely immerse a can of Eagle Brand. And I had to add about 3 cups of water to it every hour. No one could give me an accurate description of what temperature to keep it over, so I ended up on medium most of them time. It took a loooong time to cool down after I was finished too. About 6 hours. Definitely a day before thing. Now I know why  most people make about 4 cans at one time. It's not like it's any extra effort. So for the rest of the pie:

1 graham cracker crust
2-3 bananas (depending on how thick you want the banana layer)
Caramel (made the day before)
Cool Whip
Crushed up Heath Bar or toffee pieces

Then you just layer the bananas, add the caramel (it's a little hard to work with), top it off with cool whip and toffee pieces. Then leave it in the fridge for a few hours to let it set up and become cut-able.

Too bad I don't get to eat any of this one!

No comments: